22 Copy and Paste-ready Prompt Examples
Here are copy‑paste‑ready prompt examples for 22 genealogy AI use cases. You can adapt these to whatever tool you’re using (Perplexity, Claude, ChatGPT, Gemini, etc.). Or you can modify them to "fit" your particular research scenario.
1. Summarize a long probate or pension file
<prompt>
You are a professional genealogist.
I will paste a full [probate / pension] file transcription.
Create a structured summary with:
Deceased or primary party
All named individuals and their relationships (stated or implied)
Key dates
Places
Property details
Then write a brief narrative paragraph I can paste into a research log.
Do not add facts not in the text. Flag anything that seems ambiguous or contradictory.
</prompt>
2. Extract names, dates, and relationships into tables
<prompt>
You are assisting with genealogical data extraction.
From the text below, extract and return a table with columns:
Person, Role in record (testator, witness, grantor, grantee, spouse, child, etc.), Date, Place, Record type, Short note.
Preserve spelling exactly as in the text. Do not infer new relationships.
Return the table in Markdown format.
</prompt>
3. Clean up OCR and messy text
<prompt>
You are cleaning OCR for genealogical research.
I will paste text from a digitized book or newspaper.
Correct obvious OCR errors, broken words, and line breaks.
Preserve all personal names, place names, and numbers exactly; do not modernize or “fix” them.
After cleaning, list any words you were unsure about.
Output: first the cleaned text, then a short bullet list of uncertain words.
</prompt>
4. Transcribe historical handwriting
<prompt>
You are transcribing historical handwriting for genealogy.
I will describe or show the contents of a handwritten record.
Provide a line‑by‑line transcription. Use brackets […] for uncertain words.
Then explain, in plain language, why certain letters or words are difficult and suggest 1–2 alternatives for each bracketed word.
Do not add facts not visible in the text.
</prompt>
(Adjust if your tool lets you upload the image directly.)
5. Translate foreign‑language records
<prompt>
You are a translator specializing in historical parish and civil records.
I will paste a record in [language].
Provide a literal translation into English, line by line.
Then provide a genealogist‑friendly summary: who, what event, when, where, and relationships.
Keep all personal names and numbers exactly as written.
Explain any abbreviations or formulaic phrases that appear.
</prompt>
6. Build structured research timelines
<prompt>
You are helping organize a genealogical timeline.
I will paste a chronological list of events for one person, with sources.
Reformat into a table with columns: Date, Place, Event, People involved, Source, Notes, Possible conflicts.
Highlight any chronological conflicts, identity problems, or unexplained gaps longer than 10 years.
Do not add new facts; only interpret what I provide.
</prompt>
7. Ask for next‑step research suggestions
<prompt>
You are a professional genealogy coach.
Research objective: [state my question].
Locality and time period: [jurisdiction, years].
Records already searched (with results): [brief list].
Based on this, suggest:
Additional record types to consult.
Specific jurisdictions or repositories to target.
Concrete search strategies or name variants.
Prioritize sources most likely to answer the objective and explain why each might help.
</prompt>
8. Draft research plans and work logs
<prompt>
You are helping design a genealogical research plan.
Objective: [clear, focused research question].
Known information: [short summary].
Create a structured research plan with:
Tasks in logical order
For each task: record type, jurisdiction, repository/website, and purpose
A column for “Completed / Not found / To do”
Format as a table I can paste into my log.
</prompt>
9. Turn raw findings into narrative reports
<prompt>
You are a professional genealogy report editor.
I will paste rough notes and extracted findings, including citations.
Turn this into a draft narrative report with sections:
Background and objective
Summary of findings
Evidence and analysis (group related records together)
Conclusion
Recommendations for future research
Use neutral, professional language.
Do not invent facts. Clearly label any uncertainty already present in my notes.
</prompt>
10. Create ancestor biographies and blog posts
<prompt>
You are helping write a family‑history blog post.
I will provide a timeline of documented events for one person, with sources.
Write a readable ancestor biography suitable for a public blog.
Keep the tone warm but factual.
Clearly distinguish between documented facts and reasonable inferences, using phrases like “likely” or “may have.”
End with a brief “Research notes” paragraph listing key sources and remaining questions.
Do not introduce new facts I have not supplied.
</prompt>
11. Generate locality and historical context briefs
<prompt>
You are a historical‑context assistant for genealogists.
Locality: [town/county/region].
Time period: [years].
Provide a concise brief (400–600 words) covering:
Administrative and boundary changes relevant to record‑keeping
Major migrations or population shifts
Predominant record types and where they were kept
Any notable local events that may affect records
Focus on information that helps a researcher understand where records might be and what gaps to expect.
</prompt>
12. Analyze clusters and FAN clubs
<prompt>
You are assisting with FAN‑club (Friends, Associates, Neighbors) analysis.
I will paste a list of people appearing as neighbors, witnesses, bondsmen, and godparents in multiple records.
Group individuals by surname, place, and recurring associations.
Identify clusters that appear together across multiple records.
Suggest possible hypotheses about kinship or community ties for me to test, clearly marked as hypotheses, not facts.
Do not add new names; only work with the list I provide.
</prompt>
13. Land description parsing and plat hints
<prompt>
You are helping interpret historical land descriptions.
I will paste one or more metes‑and‑bounds descriptions and deed abstracts.
Normalize each description into a consistent format.
List all named landmarks, adjoining landowners, and waterways in a table.
Identify recurring neighbors or landmarks that might help locate this land on a modern map.
Provide step‑by‑step written instructions I can follow to attempt a manual plat in a spreadsheet or mapping tool.
Do not fabricate coordinates or maps.
</prompt>
14. Relationship and pedigree consistency checks
<prompt>
You are checking a family group sheet for plausibility.
I will paste a small pedigree or register‑style outline with birth, marriage, and death dates and places.
Identify biological or chronological impossibilities (e.g., parents too young/old, children born after parent’s death).
Flag close issues such as very short birth intervals or unusually late marriages.
Summarize the main problems as bullet points I can review in my genealogy software.
Do not alter my data; just comment on it.
</prompt>
15. Teaching aids and class handouts
<prompt>
You are helping create a one‑page teaching handout for adult genealogy learners.
Topic: [e.g., FAN club; reasonably exhaustive research; negative evidence].
Audience: intermediate family historians.
Give a short, clear definition.
Provide 3–5 bullet‑point examples tailored to genealogy.
End with 3 reflection questions students can use on their own projects.
Keep it under 500 words and avoid technical jargon.
</prompt>
16. Slide decks and lesson outlines
<prompt>
You are a course‑design assistant for a genealogy workshop.
Title of session: [e.g., Using AI for Probate Research].
Length: 50 minutes. Audience: [beginner / intermediate / advanced].
Based on this title, propose:
6–8 slide titles in logical order
3 key bullet points per slide
Approximate minutes per slide
Emphasize concrete demonstrations and cautions rather than abstract theory.
</prompt>
17. Source citation scaffolds (with manual review)
<prompt>
You are assisting with drafting genealogical source citations.
I will describe one record in detail: record type, collection title, archive or website, film/volume/page/image, and item details.
Draft a full reference‑note citation in the general style of Evidence Explained.
Then provide a shorter version I could use in a citation list.
Finally, list which elements I should double‑check or customize.
Treat this as a draft; do not claim to follow Evidence Explained perfectly.
</prompt>
18. Research log normalization and tagging
<prompt>
You are helping tidy a genealogical research log.
I will paste free‑form notes from several sessions.
Break them into discrete entries with columns: Date, Repository/Website, Search terms or actions, Record type, Target person/family, Result (found / not found / inconclusive), Follow‑up.
Suggest 3–6 tags per entry (surname, place, record type).
Return everything as a Markdown table I can paste into my log system.
</prompt>
19. Training data for students: practice problems
<prompt>
You are designing fictional but realistic genealogy practice exercises.
Create a set of 4–6 short records (census snippets, deed abstracts, a brief probate extract, and a civil registration entry) that:
Are clearly labeled as fictional examples
Contain enough detail to analyze a family group
Include at least one conflict or ambiguity for students to resolve
After the records, provide 5–8 questions students should answer using only these records.
Do not provide the answers unless I ask.
</prompt>
20. Image‑based headstone analysis
<prompt>
You are analyzing a photo of a headstone for genealogical purposes.
I will upload or describe the inscription as clearly as I can.
Provide a transcription, using brackets for uncertain text.
Extract the person’s name, dates, and any relationships stated.
List any symbols or motifs and briefly explain common meanings, if known.
Suggest 3–5 follow‑up record types to search based on this information.
Do not assume relationships not indicated on the stone.
</prompt>
21. AI‑indexed collections as discovery aids
<prompt>
You are helping evaluate AI‑indexed historical records.
I will paste an AI‑generated index entry and then my own transcription of the original image.
Compare the AI index with the transcription.
List errors or omissions in the AI index.
Suggest how I should adjust my search strategies (name variants, place filters, date ranges) in this collection, given these errors.
Keep recommendations practical and specific.
</prompt>
22. Long‑document “single‑pass” review
<prompt>
You are assisting with targeted reading of a long historical volume.
I will paste or summarize a large portion of a county history/compiled genealogy.
Research target: surname [X] in [locality] between [years].
Identify every passage that may relate to this surname and locality.
For each passage, give: page or section indicator, a 1–2 sentence summary, and why it might be relevant.
Then list follow‑up questions or records I should consider based on these mentions.
Do not quote long passages; keep your summaries tight.
</prompt>

Comments
Post a Comment